Today, the kids and I attended DogFest at the library. The kids had "storytime" about dogs which entailed playing "Snoopy Says" then listening to a book about dogs and singing a song about dogs. Then we split into groups and learned about different dogs out on the library's lawn. We were lucky to have Makena's friend Dillon in our group. Our first stop was with a dog named Calais. She is a puppy in training, learning to be a service dog for disabled people. She is a gorgeous black lab, who was very patient with all the kids and was doing pretty well learning her commands.

Next, we met Bixby, a Golden Retriever who is also a service dog for disabled people. He was very loving and took to all the kids marvelously. He's one of the regulars at the library's READ with Dogs program- every Sunday kids can come read to service dogs- a benefit for both the kids and the dogs. I think we'll have to bring Makena back to do that!

I didn't hear this dog's name, but he was also very good with the kids and was extremely tolerant of their petting him and running around. We also saw some little dogs trained to do agility courses- they had one set up but I didn't get any pics of it.

This is a police dog in training. He's a German Shepherd and was great at chasing his toy. He will be a good search & rescue dog and is being trained with certain attack words to be able to help police against the "bad guys." I keep telling Eric that when the kids get older, we need to get a retired police dog- one that's trained to smell drugs... so we can keep the kids scared of what we could find on them or in their rooms! :)

These are the dog tags the kids were given as nametags. Too cute! What a fun time!
Whata neat program at the library and what a neat MOM for taking the kids......I'm sure they really enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteLove, Grandma