Saturday, August 13, 2011

Project Friday

This Friday, the kids had yet another full day of projects/activities. We started with a mystery bag. I filled a pillowcase with some items I picked up around the house and had each kid take turns grabbing a named object out without looking... Once we'd emptied the pillowcase, then I had the girls do this for each other and the boys do the same. In about an hour, we had a HUGE mound of little objects from all over the house that they'd grabbed and had each other pull from the pillowcase. Needless to say, I think our kids will be doing this a lot all on their own!

The next thing we did was filling a ziploc bag with shaving creme then adding paint. Once the kids had squished it around, we would add more shaving creme and more paint or food coloring.... The kids enjoyed seeing how the color changed and feeling the texture as the shaving creme got more squished.

Third, the kids ice fished. We put ice & water in one bowl and had another empty bowl. The kids would each put a piece of string on a piece of ice, we'd sprinkle a little salt on (making the ice begin to melt then re-freeze on the string), then they'd pull out the ice and put it in the empty bowl. The kids had fun watching to see how many pieces they could pick up at a time. I think this will be repeated in the future as well!

And finally, they made match-up books... We folded 4 sheets of paper in half and stapled the fold. On each page the kids drew a different person/animal/creature/alien/bug with the head at the top, body in the middle and legs at the bottom. then we cut the book in thirds, making it so they could mix/match different heads, bodies and legs by turning different numbers of pages at a time in each section. They'd done some similar to this at the library earlier in the summer so they got real creative with their drawings and in thinking about how they could mix them up.

I had more things planned, but our afternoon ended up being taken up with planning for the garage sale. :) The kids had a "dance party" as my friend Kirsten and I priced and arranged all our sale items.  Only one more Friday with the Carson kids before school starts. :(


















No comments:

Post a Comment