I've been on my newest "journey" now for almost a year. I've lost 75 pounds, more inches than I can count at this point, have run 3 5K's, am training for next weekend's 10K... I could go on.... So- I have MUCH to be thankful for in the way of health and life. I have an amazing family, a nice house, great jobs, many wonderful friends... again, I could keep going, but won't at this time.
So- why couldn't I remember all this when I was on a pity trip last week??? Call it PMS, call it stress, call it the winter blues... If you ask my husband he will tell you that he sees the pessimist in me more & more these days. I know I've never been the best at seeing the glass half full when things get hard, but I didn't realize how downright depressing I could get when I face difficulty.
To back up and give you more of the story- I should tell you how I got so upset. Simply put- I wrecked my baby on Wednesday. My new car- only 7 months old- is now in the shop, hoping to be fixed over the next couple of weeks. I slid on the snow, down a hill on my way out of the parking lot at work and right into another vehicle. I felt stupid, ashamed, mortified, scared and just plain pissed off. Yes, I should be thankful that no one was hurt & that the kids weren't with me at the time... but that didn't keep me from shaking and crying the rest of the day.
I realize in the grand scheme of things, this isn't that big of a deal. With insurance, this won't cost us too much money. I got a rental (which I had to take back & get a 2nd one- the first got a chip in the windshield and I didn't want to be responsible for a cracked windshield!), so I'm not inconvenienced too much... But it all set the tone for the rest of the week.
We had the snow day on Thursday, and the kids were on my last nerve all day, fighting and yelling. Then Landon got sick, beginning Thursday and getting lots worse by Friday (so he had to miss the end of his "ALL ABOUT ME" week at school and I had to miss another day of work). I took him to the doctor and found out he had strep. I called my doctor and she put me on antibiotics too since I was starting to get a sore throat and feel achy.
The week wasn't entirely bad- we booked our big annual Vegas trip for the summer- we're staying 6 nights and are staying half the time on the strip and half at a resort about 30 minutes from the strip... We also bought an additional grill to cook some things faster- the smoker just isn't cut out for quick lunches/dinners. (And you know how I LOVE it when Eric grills!) Makena had a sleepover last night so we were down to one kid for almost 24 hours.... And I got to do my long weekly run (today it was 6.25 miles) inside at a friend's house on her treadmill, instead of braving the snow/ice on the sidewalks. And I got to Skype with my little sister tonight. None of this has seemed to sway my attitude yet, even though I recognize that in sheer numbers, the good should outweigh the bad for the week.
I hope I can jump back into smiley mode for work by tomorrow- the preschoolers wouldn't know what to do with grumpy Nikki. Lucky Eric & the kids- they get to see grumpy Nikki a lot these days. :( But things have to turn around, right? It's Sunday and the Packers are going to the Super Bowl... I'm seeing better days ahead, or so I keep telling myself!
Sunday, January 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sending you lots of positive energy to help you feel a little more positive. Those periods are hard, when life just gets you down. Know that the pendulum will swing the other way soon! Way to go on your run today. I ended up just doing 30 Day Shred inside. I've been hitting the sugar way too hard lately - gotta get back in my pre-Christmas groove! Winter is always challenging for me in the diet department.
ReplyDeleteEveryone has times like that. I know I do. Especially when unexpected things happen and the kids can't get outside to run off all that energy. Things will be better this week though. Keep thinking positively. :0)
ReplyDeleteYou two are both very sweet. It was just one big pity party here for me last week! I'm trying to be more positive this week.
ReplyDeleteHeather- I am starting 30 day shred on Monday! I figured I'll try a different video every month in the mornings before work/school. SHould give me a little extra boost in energy and weight loss... or at least I'm hoping it will!
Jenny- Thanks! You're a good friend! Miss you girl!